- Prep Time : 10 min
- Cook Time : 2 min
Serves: 4-6 People > Difficulty: Medium
A quintessential favourite Japanese dish, using our new Fish Free King Prawns, delicately battered and deep fried to crispy perfection – ideal for an entrée if entertaining, or a quick snack.
- 250 Grams Fish Free King Prawns
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- 1 Egg
- 230 Millilitre Ice Cold Water
- 125 Grams Flour
- 1 tablespoon Grated Ginger or Puree
- 100 Millilitre Vegetable Stock
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 tablespoon Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- 60 Grams Pineapple Chunks (canned)
- 2 Tablespoons Pineapple Juice (from the Canned Pineapple)
- half Small Red Pepper Seeded Diced
- 2 Spring Onions Cut in 2cm Pieces
Sweet & Sour Sauce:
Add all the ingredients apart from the red pepper and spring onion, to a pan, cook over a moderate heat until thick and sticky, add the red pepper and spring onions and stir in until coated. Pour into a bowl and set aside to cool.
Beat the egg in a bowl. Add the ice water, add sifted flour to the bowl and mix lightly, do not over mix. Heat the oil to 180°C, dip the prawns in the batter and carefully place in the hot oil, cook for 2 minutes, remove and drain excess oil.
Always use ice cold water for the tempura batter, and if spicy is your ‘thing’, add a little chilli powder or paprika to the batter. Serve with rice as a main, or as is with the dip.