- Prep Time : NA min
- Cook Time : NA min
Serves: 6 > Difficulty: Easy
This goes really well with pasta, bean burgers, grilled vegetables, vegetarian sausages or steamed long grain rice.
- 1 1/2 Kilograms ripe tomatoes, peeled, or 2 cans of plum tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cut fresh or canned tomatoes into small cubes. Heat the olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato paste, then the herbs. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently, for approx 25 minutes. Add a little water if it gets too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.