- Prep Time : 10 min
- Cook Time : 15 min
Serves: 4 > Difficulty: Easy
Tasty crowd pleaser, full of flavour!
- 1 tin chick peas – drained
- The same amount of broad beans fresh or frozen
- 1 small red onion (or 3 salad onions) – very finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic – finely chopped or grated
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 100 mls or so of olive oil
- splash of soy sauce
- juice from ½ lemon
- splash of tabasco or finely chopped fresh red chili – or both
- handful of chopped coriander
- handful of chopped parsley
- 1 packet of Halloumi cheese
- A few lettuce leaves – anything will do
- A handful of Rocket, Pea Tops, Lamb’s Lettuce or Watercress
- 1-2 tomatoes cut into wedges
- Pitta or other flat bread such as Lavash or Barbary naan
Cook the broad beans in boiling water for 3-4 minutes till just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop them from overcooking. Take a large bowl and mix everything down to and including the tabasco together gently and leave for 20 minutes to marinade. Now stir in herbs.
Heat the grill or a frying pan. If grilling, brush the halloumi slices with a little oil. If frying heat oil in the pan. Cook the Halloumi until browned. Place a few salad leaves on a large plate, then poil the bean salad on top of the leaves. Cut the warmed pitta bread into wedges and place decoratively around the edge of the plate, then finally top off the plate with one or two slices of the cooked Halloumi.